Saturday, 30 May 2009

Oh Good! Everyone's Clean

Following on from my last post, the one about how I hate ... I'll whisper it, there's a chance of the word becoming offensive if overused - the one about how I hate housework ... I think the first of these snaps may prove my point.

Celeste's PINK paddling pool has been parked outside the sinkside kitchen window, fully inflated, for ... let me count ... 9 months now. Well, that's my best calculation - I'm assuming we did have at least 1 sunny day in August 2008 but I could well be deluded: anyway, I've been looking at it every time I fill the kettle or, much, much less frequently, wash up for anywhere between 9 and 12 months, thinking "I really should clean that thing out. Or maybe I could just deflate it?" I've done neither. It got to February and I didn't see the point, only a couple more months to go and she'll be using it again.

Today was THAT day. It had been keeping the birds, squirrels, foxes (?) and, dare I say it, rats (we live under the quarry under the woods, we're not mingers, honest) in rain water for the best part of a year. So, if you look at it that way, I've been providing a service to wild animals.

Just before 3pm today, I went outside, armed with a bottle of Dettol and a hose pipe spewing out very hot water. I was Kim and Agie X4. I took the plastic bags full of plastic balls out of the plastic pool (children in the UK are single handedly responsible for the world oil crisis) and saw ....

Pond life! Snails, jumping things, swimming things, none of which I cared to identify: I just wanted rid. I annihilated most of them and was on too much of a mission to care less. Now, however, I am singing the lyrics to AATA's Ant Music "Don't tread on an ant, he's done nothing to you, there might come a day when he's treading on you. Don't tread on an ant, you'll end up black and blue, you cut off his head, legs come looking for you." Imagine if that really happened?! Best I don't think about it.

I got Celeste to help me and if you read my last post, you'll know why.
Disinfected, rinsed and refilled with much cooler water and it was, once again, a PINK paddling pool! Little Creatures OUT and Little Monster IN.

Job done for another year :)

Before

During

After

1 comment:

  1. She's really enjoying it! Good job!
    I always procrastinate housework, too.

    ReplyDelete