Tuesday, 26 May 2009

Ten Little White Lies I’ve Told My Daughter

John Ruskin said “To make your children capable of honesty is the beginning of education” (thanks to my twitter friend @Olithechef for this gem). The Englishman’s quote got me thinking about whether I lead by good example. I think I do, mostly, but you have to tell a few harmless porkies every now and then, don't you? For self-preservation, if nothing else.

So, here's a short list of tinsy tiny white lies that I've told Celeste but this could well go into the hundreds ....

  1. "No, sorry darling, The Tweenies have finished."
  2. "Eat it; it's lovely."
  3. "Not now, sweetheart, I'm working." When, of course, I'm on twitter.
  4. "The park is closed."
  5. "If you don't brush your teeth, the dentist man will come and take them all away and then you won't be able to eat anything." (Well, it's nearly true).
  6. "It's bedtime." At 4:45 pm.
  7. "We haven't got any chocolate." I never run out
  8. "Oh, no. The VCR isn't working so we can't watch that video of Suzi Quatro singing nursery rhymes circa 1985."
  9. "Did you make that for me? Thank you; it's lovely." Very often, this one.
  10. "No, no, it's OK, it didn't hurt."

Feel free to add any of your own fibs to this list...

4 comments:

  1. "That's the special tune they play to tell us the Ice-Cream Van has run out."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely!

    How about? The carousel is broken darling!

    Not your hair- just your body! (In bath of course until I douse her with shampoo and conditioner)

    (snglbny from Twitterland) ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these...I don't have kids so I don't use any and I can't for the life of me remember what my Mum used to say, I know she used some but I've gone blank!

    ReplyDelete
  4. the favourite one in our house is "wine makes mummy clever" which we stole from Andy Riley

    ReplyDelete