Friday, 5 June 2009

Sparkly Appley

Anyone who follows me on twitter will know that I have fancied a pint of cider ALL week: what with all this glorious sunshine AND living in the West Country, it just seems like the sensible thing to do. Or is that insensible? Anyone who doesn't follow me on twitter but who simply knows me will be wise to the fact that I almost always fancy a pint of cider, regardless of the weather or my geography.

Yesterday was the day I indulged! I texted another mum, G., to see whether she was up for taking the kids to the park after pre-school. She was. Once we got to the park, G. also agreed with my plan to go to the Royal Hotel (not the Royal Pier Hotel, not the one that burnt down yesterday afternoon - it wasn't us, Occifer). The Royal has become my local, which means that I've been there 3 times in the past 4 months!! Yes, I know, weird isn't it? That kid thing again.

It is the perfect spot for soaking up the rays, letting the lil'uns chase each other on the huge green and, of course, drinking cider. Refusing to entertain draught Strongbow, we plumped for bottles of Thatchers' Gold with ice, sold all over the country although the farm just outside of this very town. It was the wisest thing to do - the kegged stuff from the same farm was 90p cheaper a pint and a hell of a lot stronger. It tastes lush (sorry, couldn't resist) but not recommended when you've got two toddlers to look out for: it's the sort of drink that makes you forget your name or that you ever even had a child.

After fobbing Celeste and her 'boyfriend', L., off with nothing more than a sausage roll and juice for lunch, we slapped the old spf on the pair of them and let them run riot while we had a good natter. We were very restrained and only had two bottles each in as many hours. Then we were less restrained and, on the way home, we bought some more cider to continue the party back at my house.

Now, excuse me, I have to go: I have a wild hangover and a two-nearly-three year old to entertain. Ouch!!!






2 comments:

  1. Aah Thatchers!! Cider me up is all I can think now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a wonderful time was had by you at last lol

    ReplyDelete