Sunday, 27 September 2009

Black Hole Sun

She's been drawing ever since she worked out that having opposable thumbs was fun and that they enabled her to do more than simply feed herself and the floor; if she got it right, she could hold a biro and make unwelcome marks all over our white walls (come to think of it, Celestial Graffiti pre-dates the thumb-awareness thing and began as soon as a fist could be clenched forcibly enough to support a pen).

She has her very own Junk Arts and Craft Cupboard in the kitchen, into which I bung any old shit that I come across place all sorts of delights for her to transform into an art form (old food boxes, washing up bottles, used wrapping paper and, more recently, conkers, pine cones and acorns). We're very Mister Maker (her inevitable hero) about the whole thing.

I really can't be sure but I think she's rather adept at drawing - she can already do a fathomable cat, person, face and flower.  She draws an awful lot of spiders, which look a bit like her depiction of the sun but with eyes and a thread from which to dangle.  The sun isn't always yellow - it can be PINK or blue or even black, like this:




This particular drawing, which I had to smooth out after she'd screwed it up into a ball, had me singing that fabulous Soundgarden tune all day yesterday.  (Click here to listen to it)

The Black Sun and creepy spiders fixation could be seen as somewhat macabre ... but that sort of analysis is the property of adults who have learned too much and have lost all innocence, isn't it?  Or should I expect the Social Servies round at some point in our future?

1 comment:

  1. "She has her very own (Junk) Arts and Craft Cupboard in the kitchen, into which I (bung any old shit that I come across) place all sorts of delights for her to transform into an art form (old food boxes, washing up bottles, used wrapping paper and, more recently, conkers, pine cones and acorns).

    I remember those days ! I'm glad this trend is still continuing and not every child needs to watch television or play video games to feed their mind.

    ReplyDelete