Saturday, 12 September 2009

Flying Solo

I drop her off at pre-school and you'd think I'd go home to relax or at least to do something different while I've got some time to myself, wouldn't you?  But no!

I take a new-to-me path from Cecil Road up to the Woods.  It's a steeper, stonier course than we usually take, one which requires more input of energy - or is it just that I'm unemcumbered by my very own Wood Pixie and so I'm able to march along, working those leg muscles harder than they have become used to?  I snag my bare legs on a few blackberry brambles but nothing to invite tears and I head up to Worlebury Camp, taking a few photos of trees on the way.

 The 'Camp'

The Camp/Encampment/Iron Age Fort is a substantial clearing in the Woods at the top of Worlebury Hill, offering delightful vistas of Sand Bay/Point, the Bristol Channel and Wales - the view is stunning on a clear day such as today.  Once there, I examine the holes or pits that I wrote about in my latest Weston Mercury Blog post and I realise that they are more circlar than square and are larger than I first thought (maybe 6, 7, 8 foot in diametre).  These holes have been purpose-built for ... well, there has been some (but not nearly enough) speculation as to exactly what these stoned-lined wells were built for. One thing is clear; they have been here for hundreds, probably thousands, of years.  Moss and ivy crawl up the walls and there are more of these pits than I had first imagined - dozens in fact.  Most have been maintained (by the Rangers?) while those situated a little away from the path are disguised by brambles. As I venture inwards through the stinging nettles, I tred carefully, mindful that another seven or eight foot deep hole could well be hidden by overgrowth. I fancy that I'm swallowed up, pulled down into the opening and that I find myself in one of these crevices that, in ancient times, may have been used to store grain and/or as burial grounds.  Research tells me that faeries have been spotted here - my mind frees itself.

The moon is visible in the cloudless, daytime sky, dragging the sea inwards: in an hour's time it will be high tide.  Up here on Worlebury Hill, exposed to the elements, I explore not only this mysterious terrain but also an unseen space, creating my own Fantasy World.

Maybe I'll tell you about it one day?

 Pit

2 comments:

  1. Fantastic pic, and a great time of year for faerie spotting - there will be more about in October, I have no doubt. I'm not sure I've ever been to Worlebury Hill, although I had a great dinner in Worle a few years ago! It sounds intriguing. I used to hang out at Cadbury Camp in Tickenham, which is a very magic place too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pits may be for grain storage - you often find them within the Iron Age hillforts which acted as kind of administrative centres for the areas around them as well as defensive structures in times of conflict.

    ReplyDelete