Tuesday, 27 October 2009

What Not to Wear

I remember when my Auntie was out shopping for clothes years ago with her toddler daughter.  In one of Topshop's changing rooms (you know them, where everyone can hear everything), she squeezed into a rather tasty, sexy number, thinking this was The Outfit She Must Have, when her little girl protested extremely loudly:

"No, Mummy. Too tight, too short."  Brilliant, though Mum was mortified.

Fast forward sixteen years and I could well be saying the same thing to my daughter, not the other way around (I think).

I told you about this clothes obsession of hers very recently, didn't I?  It doesn't matter what she wears, as long as it defies me and what I think she should be sporting this season.  I'm not a fussy mum, honest I'm not, but I would at least like the pretty little thing to wear something that is a) warm b) her size c) on its way to being passably clean.  She, of course, has other ideas.

Today she managed a Big Fat Fail on all three counts and demanded to put on a T-shirt (it's the end of October), age 18 months - 2 years (she's 3 and a half) that she pulled out of the laundry basket a heap of clothes stuffed into the cupboard next to the washing machine.

If I had longer hair, I swear I'd pull it out!

3 comments:

  1. I have absolutely no control over what my daughter wears. She is 6 now and it's been that way since she was about 2. She also tries to tell me what I should wear. Recently she told me I should wear skirts not trousers and defintely not shirts as they are for boys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehehe! A headstrong little lady you have there.

    I have tagged you in a meme over at mine.

    http://www.insomniacmummy.com/2009/10/almost-wordless-wednesday-picture.html

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like I have all that to come then RosieS. It's a form of control/assertion, isn't it? Must be.

    IM, thanks for the tag, sorry to be so rubbish at picking it up, off over to your place right now

    x

    ReplyDelete