Thursday, 28 January 2010

Kid A

This blogpost was partly inspired by my attendance at the Very Silent Disco in Weston's Dophin Square, partly by Nickie O's imaginative music appreciation through blogging at Typecast and not a little by my twitter friend @dottyteakettle's tweet earlier today, which opined "Praise be for Boards of Canada."

That statement took me straight back to St Mary's Birthing Centre in Melton Mowbray and those hours that I awaited the birth of My Little Pork Pie, stuffing a huge bar of Cadbury's Dairy Milk into my mouth for energy, rolling around on a huge gym ball, high as a balloon on gas and air, bang in the middle of that unbearable July Heatwave.

"I feel redundant," lamented my Mum, the best birthing partner a woman could wish for.

"I feel like I'm at a Festival," I shouted.

In the hours up till midnight, I coped with the flying and the contractions by texting incoherent ramblings to some of my family and friends.

"I do believe you are high," texted my brother from the Noel Arms in Langham, Rutland.

"And you, Sir, are drunk," I replied. "At least in the morning, I shall have a baby."

Radiohead's Kid A was probably offensively loud in the birthing suite.  "Everything in its right place," sang our Thom.  "Absolutely, Oh Wise One," I had to agree.

I waffled, I took in some more Entonox, I waffled some more, I turned the music up, I ate some more chocolate, I was manic.

The midwife broke my waters.  WHAT THE ????

Everything changed. Pain, intense pain. I still needed music but The Head were no longer suitable, I had to listen to something more calming, tunes that would help me to focus, help me to float. And I needed more gas and air.  We wheeled the apparatus into the adjoining room and I laid back in the birthing pool, soothed by the tones of the sublime Boards of Canada.  I drifted in and out of sleep, bobbing, until .....

You don't really need to know the rest but at 3:46 am on Saturday 15th July 2006, she was born.  My Celestial One.

My complete birthing music playlist was:

Radiohead - OK Computer
Radiohead - Kid A
Boards of Canada - Geogaddi
Boards of Canada - The Campfire Headphase.

Thank you, oh thank you, you fabulous British boys. You helped me through, you really did.

2 comments:

  1. OMG!! I'm an "inspiration"!!
    hahahahahahah *falls over laughing*

    Gas and air is GREAT stuff :D My husband wasn't allowed any because I wouldn't let go of it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how that took me back, and it was sooo not that long ago!

    Gas and air... the most excellent drugs ever! At one point, I was wittering so bad that DAve suggested I took the next contaction without the gas and air as i was so high. And after that, you would have had to have wrestled the mouthpiece out of my cold, dead hands!

    I also had my waters broken for me, rather than naturally. Wow. I totally wasn't expecting THAT.

    After my waters broke? The MOST intense pain. I stopped using the gas and air as I couldn't concentrate on breathing properly. As you can imagine, I made some pretty full on gutteral animal noises!

    You dont really need to know the rest (!!)

    And there she was.

    Thank you for your post, it took me right back.

    PS. My Playlist? Bjork. Lots of Bjork.

    PPS. Ruby was ALSO born in July. the first. Hottest day of the year 2009.

    ReplyDelete