Sunday, 3 January 2010

Set in Stone

Walking along the road where we live today, under the Woods aka 'our Back Garden', 150 metres or so from our house, I noticed this discarded stone slab. It was divorced from the rest of the poem, as though it was sitting patiently on a grass verge, neither on the pavement nor in a garden, just waiting for me:



Pardon 
r Mirth
a garden
on Earth



I don't know what it had once read, there was no counterpart. It didn't seem to matter: it all makes sense to me.

5 comments:

  1. What an amazing find - I would so totally think it had hidden meaning & I was meant to find it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful thing to find! I agree - left there just for you. Would love to hear more about what the words meant to you x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Wendy and Josie.

    The words spell out the innocence of My Girl and I running joyfully around the woods, our back garden, as we so often do. I think we're communicating with the fairies in this poem, in a "sorry to disturb you, we know you live here, but we're only having fun" kind of way, safe in the knowledge that they're encouraging us to do so anyway. Although their is no mention of Heaven, I feel there is a spiritual quality to these 6 or 7 words.

    On reading this post, a dear twitter friend and local man has informed me that this snippet is from "God's Garden" by Dorothy Frances Gurney. Thank you KR xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so special, love that it spoke to you so deeply. A very precious find indeed xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. It reads'the kiss of the sun for pardon, the song of the birds for mirth, one is nearer god's heart in a garden than anywhere else on earth.' My grampy used to have the same plaque in his front garden, under the holly tree. How lovely to see even a fragment after all these years:)

    ReplyDelete