Sunday, 28 February 2010

Our Friends on the Wall

I've been tagged by the fabulous Camilla at Made by Milla.

Here are the rules:

1. open your first photo folder in your computer library.
2. scroll to the 10th photo
3. post the photo and the story behind it
4. tag 5 or more people to continue the thread



This photo was taken on my mobile phone a couple of years ago.  The walls of Celeste's bedroom were, like the rest of the flat, plain white.  She wasn't sleeping and who could blame her for not taking to a sterile room, her not yet two-year old imagination unable to make anything of so much bareness.  So, Sexy Older Man grabbed one of her "In the Night Garden" picture books and copied the outline of the characters onto the walls with My Girl's black Crayola crayon.  Then, darting to retrieve some of the paints he keeps by his own huge canvas down the road in his house-come-studio, he made Igglepiggle, Upsy Daisy, The Ninky Nonk and Makka Pakka come alive.

But would she like it?  We did!  But these five feet plus creatures with big eyes and open arms might be too imposing for a wee one. 

The next night she slept so happily, embraced by the trees, next to the flowers, under the watchful eyes of her colourful friends.  The mural is still there but not for much longer.  The Celestial One is four in July and she may be outgrowing CBeebies.  A local woman I've met on our Weston-super-Mum Community, Natasha, came round for a recce last week and sized up the room that she will transform into a bedroom suitable for Lestie's next phase as the little girl who is leaving toddlerhood behind.

She's asked to keep the trees and in place of the blue phallus with the red mohican, the rasta dancer with the inflatable skirt and the stoned soft figure (my words not hers!) will be fairies and flowers and butterflies - a magic woodland.  All that remains now for me to do is to paint over SOM's work and prepare the blank canvas for Natasha to create her own Wonderland.

Somehow, though, I can't bring myself to do it ...


I now tag:

Keith Ramsey

Tim Worth

Nickie O'Hara

Victoria Wallop

Heather Sunderland

3 comments:

  1. I've done it!!

    http://typecast2000.blogspot.com/2010/03/changing-rooms.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's about time I got off my arse and did something about this, isn't it? Watch this space.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here's my response

    http://keithramsey.blogspot.com/2010/07/tagged.html

    which I seem to have been working on while you were writing your latest post. If I knew for certain whether I believe in synchronicity I might be worried by this.

    ReplyDelete